The kitchen is truly the heart of every home. From homework to dinner and everything in between, a lot of time is spent in this homey space. An outdated kitchen can be a major eyesore. But giving it a facelift can quickly make it aesthetically pleasing and add to its efficiency all at the same time. Here are 10 design tips that can help give your kitchen a fresh face.
1. Paint the Cabinets. Instead of installing brand new cabinets, you can easily change the entire look of your kitchen with something as simple as a coat of paint. Changing the color from typical white or beige to something more daring like sage green or navy can do wonders for the finished look of your kitchen.
2. Hardware. Adding modern knobs and pulls to your cabinets is a small change that can make a big difference in the appearance of your kitchen. Sometimes simply updating these elements can be enough to make the difference between an outdated cabinet and an in-style, trendy one.
3. Open it Up. Exposed storage and shelves opens up your kitchen and makes it seem larger than it actually is. Closed cabinets can overpower the space, making it seem dark and cluttered. Opening them up a bit can give the entire space a face lift.
4. Add Something Rustic. Although it may seem counter-productive, adding a rustic or vintage piece to your kitchen can actually create a timeless look when paired with other updates.
5. Appliances. Swapping out that ancient oven for a new stainless steel one is an obvious way to make a dramatic difference in your kitchen. If an appliance is outdated, replace it with a new one. Try keeping all of your appliances uniform for a more cohesive, modern look.
6. Lighting. Illuminate your kitchen with new, modern light fixtures. Recessed and pendant lighting are popular choices in the kitchen. But don’t forget about the best lighting of all: natural light. Be sure your space has enough natural light pouring in. This can help brighten and open up your space. The kitchen pictured above uses a combination of recessed, decorative, and natural light. Click here to see more of this remodel.
7. Island. The addition of an island is a great way to add a new element to your kitchen. If the square footage permits, an island can add seating, storage, and counter space.
8. Flowers. Something as simple as fresh flowers can brighten the look of almost any room. Keep it simple with a glass vase and a colorful array of your choice.
9. Pots and Pans. Hanging pots and pans is no new trend. However, this look has become a great way to modernize the look of a kitchen and utilize the extra space. You can hang pots and pans over an island or have a rack installed along an empty wall.
10. Add a Theme. Pick a color scheme you want to use and apply it to the extras in your kitchen. Things like oven mitts, floor mats, and dish towels should unite to complement the more permanent elements in your kitchen.