The kitchen is the heart of every home. From homework to dinner and everything in between, it’s easy to see that a lot of time is spent in the kitchen. So why not customize it to suit your needs? An outdated kitchen can be an eyesore to say the least. Giving your kitchen a facelift may be just what it needs to make it aesthetically pleasing, and add to its efficiency at the same time. Here are 10 design tips that will help give your kitchen a fresh face.
1. Paint the Cabinets. Instead of installing brand new cabinets, you can change the entire look of your kitchen with something as simple as paint. Changing the color from typical white or beige to something more daring like sage green can do wonders for the finished look of your kitchen.
2. Hardware. Modern knobs and pulls are small changes that make a big difference in the appearance of your kitchen. Sometimes simply changing these elements will be enough to make the difference between an outdated cabinet and a trendy one.
3. Open it Up. Exposed storage opens up your kitchen on so many levels. Sometimes your kitchen may seem dark and cluttered when closed cabinets overpower the space. Opening up a few of those cabinets for exposed storage can freshen things up a bit.
4. Add Something Rustic. Although it may seem counterproductive, adding a rustic piece to your kitchen will actually create a timeless look when paired with the other updates.
5. Appliances. Swapping out that ancient oven for a new stainless steel one is an obvious way to make a dramatic difference. Keep all the appliances uniform for a more modern look.
6. Lighting. Illuminate your kitchen with modern light fixtures like pendant lighting. Recessed lighting is also a popular choice in the kitchen, but don’t forget about the best lighting of all: natural light. Be sure that enough natural light is pouring in to shine on your beautiful new space! The kitchen pictured above uses a combination of recessed, decorative, and natural light. Click here to see more of this remodel.
7. Island. The addition of an island is a great way to add a new element to your kitchen. If the square footage permits, an island can add seating, storage, and counter space.
8. Flowers. Something as simple as flowers can brighten the look of almost any room. Keep it simple with a glass vase and a colorful array of your choice.
9. Pots and Pans. Hanging pots and pans is no new phenomenon. However, this look has become a great way to modernize the look of a kitchen. You can hang pots and pans over an island or you could have a rack installed along a wall.
10. Add a Theme. Pick a color scheme you want to use and apply it to the extras in your kitchen. Things like oven mitts, floor mats, and dish towels should unite to complement the more permanent elements in your kitchen.